photographer at dusk

Camera Equipment Insurance 101: What You May Not Know

Camera equipment insurance—whether you’re an amateur, a professional photographer, or you’re using a camera as part of another business (maybe you’re a realtor or blogger—you need it

Most people who dive into photography as a hobby or part-time business have at least $3000-$5000 in camera equipment. Full-time professional photographers may carry equipment worth even more.

It’s not cheap to replace camera equipment if it becomes lost or broken, which is why you should carry camera equipment insurance. However, before you purchase coverage, here are a few things you may not know about this type of policy.

Your Homeowner’s Policy May Not Cover Camera Equipment If You Generate Income

A lot of people are under the wrong impression that their camera gear is covered under their homeowner’s policy.

For most hobbyists, this may be true.

However, if 50% or more of your annual income comes from photography, or if you regularly use your camera equipment as part of your business, your homeowner’s policy won’t cover your equipment.

Additionally, making multiple claims on your homeowner’s policy may cause your homeowner’s policy to be canceled. Separate insurance for your camera equipment protects both your gear and your homeowner’s policy.

Professional Photography Associations Charge You Membership Fees in Addition to Insurance

Most professional photography associations offer members an opportunity to sign up for insurance. This insurance is usually cheaper because you’re part of a group acquiring insurance in bulk, directly from a carrier. The result is lower individual premiums.

But what if we told you that you don’t need to purchase an association membership to get the same benefits? Full Frame Insurance gives you the same low individual premiums, and, in many cases, our insurance is even more affordable and comprehensive.

We can do this because all of our clients are also part of a large purchasing group. This is why we love referrals, so share the good news with your fellow photographers.

Most Camera Equipment Insurance Providers Only Cover Professionals

If you’ve shopped around for camera equipment insurance, you may be stunned to discover that most insurance companies offering photography insurance only sell to professional photographers.

That might not include you if you are a freelancer with just a few assignments each year, or if you are a blogger who uses photography equipment to take pictures for your blog. Maybe you are asked to cover a few weddings of friends and family each year and don’t really qualify as a full-time professional photographer.

If you fall under these categories, that’s okay. Full Frame Insurance is geared specifically for photographers just like you.

While we can cover many professional photographers, Full Frame understands the insurance needs of small business owners and hobbyist photographers are just as important, and we have a program that fits you and your budget.

Full Frame Insurance Offer Scalable Camera Equipment Insurance

There’s no need to purchase too much insurance or go without enough insurance with the many options Full Frame offers. If you purchase additional equipment, you can always choose to increase your coverage at any time.

Full Frame camera equipment insurance can be added to any Full Frame annual general liability policy. This way, not only is your equipment insured, but you are covered in the case of accidents or property damage. Purchase a Full Frame insurance policy today!


Related Articles

Cyber Liability

Cyber liability insurance protects your business from the cost of first- and third-party claims that arise from a cyber security breach within your business. Cyber crime has become a common threat for businesses both big and small. If you collect or store business information online on a computer, tablet, or mobile device, we highly suggest including this additional protection to your policy.

Professional Liability

Professional liability insurance can protect your business from the cost negligence claims that arise from professional errors and omissions, like giving bad instruction or failing to provide necessary information on a subject. If you teach classes or run demonstrations as part of your business, we strongly recommend this additional coverage option.

Additional Insureds

When you add a person, event, or organization to your policy as an additional insured, they receive protection if they are named in a suit due to a covered business-related loss/claim because of your actions or operations.

Additional insured status cannot be granted to a friend or co-worker as an extension of your policy. Each individual must purchase their own policy to obtain liability coverage.

A written contract, such as a venue, studio rental, or employment contract is required to add another party as additional insured.

General Liability

General liability insurance can protect your business from the cost of third-party bodily injury and property damage claims, like if a client trips on your business equipment and injures themselves. It also protects against the cost of copyright infringement claims, personal and advertising injury claims, and more.

Damage To Rented Premises

This coverage can protect your business from the cost of claims arising from damages done to rented spaces, like a studio or event booth. It’s common for property owners and event organizers to require businesses to list them as additional insureds on a policy before renting a space. Full Frame provides unlimited additional insureds for just $30.

Camera Equipment Coverage

Also known as inland marine insurance, camera equipment coverage can protect your business from the cost of repairing or replacing damaged or stolen business equipment—including camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment, and more. Our policy can protect against claims that occur at home, on a job and anywhere in between. Full Frame offers multiple coverage options for equipment insurance based on your business needs.