camera lens up close

Questions To Ask When Buying Photographers or Videographers Insurance

Buying photographers or videographers insurance can be a daunting task. You may not know how much coverage to purchase, what types of insurance to buy, or what to look for in a policy.

Full Frame Insurance can help you customize a plan that gives you the best protection for the best price. Before purchasing photography or videography insurance, be sure to ask the following questions:

1. What Types of Insurance Do I Need To Operate My Photography or Videography Business?

All photographers should carry a general liability policy for the length of time they will be operating. That is, if you are only covering a short event, a short-term liability policy might be ideal. If you conduct several photography or videography sessions throughout the year, an annual policy would be the most cost-effective policy to buy.

If you want to cover your equipment, you should purchase additional equipment insurance that will cover the cost of the equipment should it become lost or damaged.

2. What Are My Exposures or Risks as a Photographer or Videographer?

You might be thinking to yourself that you’re a careful person and are never negligent, therefore you do not need to protect yourself against a lawsuit, because, hey, that will never happen, right?

What you can’t count on, though, is the behavior of others, adverse weather events, or unintentional accidents happening.

To assess how much liability insurance you should carry, consider the following:

  • If I lost my source of income from my photography or videography business due to an adverse weather event, how much would I need to cover my bills?
  • If I end up in court, can I pay my legal expenses to defend myself, even if I am not at fault?
  • If I am found to be at fault, could I cover the expenses arising from a bodily injury claim, libel claim, or property damage claim?
  • Do I travel to multiple places and will I need inland marine coverage while my equipment is being transported?

3. How Much Would It Cost To Replace My Equipment?

Next, assess how much equipment you have and how much it would cost you to replace it all. Don’t just take into account the initial cost of the gear, remember to adjust for inflation.

You should routinely do an inventory of your equipment and camera gear. If you’ve purchased new equipment but haven’t upgraded your policy, now might be the best time to do so.

4. Can I Purchase My Policy Online, Download My Documents, and Easily Add Additional Insureds?

It’s worth taking a look at how your insurance company operates. Sometimes you need insurance or proof of insurance documents after business hours. Can you quickly go online and purchase a policy with no hassle? Are your documents accessible even when the company isn’t open?

Full Frame Insurance is an online, no-hassle insurance agency that allows you to access and download your proof of insurance documents 24/7 and add an additional insured at any time.

5. Is It Easy To File a Claim? What Do I Have To Do?

To file a claim with Full Frame Insurance, simply contact us at or call us at 844-670-1078.

Send us the following information: Date of loss, description of loss, names and phone numbers of persons to be contacted, and your claim will be processed by our knowledgeable team of agents.

Don’t wait to file your claim. Do it as soon as possible!


Related Articles

Cyber Liability

Cyber liability insurance protects your business from the cost of first- and third-party claims that arise from a cyber security breach within your business. Cyber crime has become a common threat for businesses both big and small. If you collect or store business information online on a computer, tablet, or mobile device, we highly suggest including this additional protection to your policy.

Professional Liability

Professional liability insurance can protect your business from the cost negligence claims that arise from professional errors and omissions, like giving bad instruction or failing to provide necessary information on a subject. If you teach classes or run demonstrations as part of your business, we strongly recommend this additional coverage option.

Additional Insureds

When you add a person, event, or organization to your policy as an additional insured, they receive protection if they are named in a suit due to a covered business-related loss/claim because of your actions or operations.

Additional insured status cannot be granted to a friend or co-worker as an extension of your policy. Each individual must purchase their own policy to obtain liability coverage.

A written contract, such as a venue, studio rental, or employment contract is required to add another party as additional insured.

General Liability

General liability insurance can protect your business from the cost of third-party bodily injury and property damage claims, like if a client trips on your business equipment and injures themselves. It also protects against the cost of copyright infringement claims, personal and advertising injury claims, and more.

Damage To Rented Premises

This coverage can protect your business from the cost of claims arising from damages done to rented spaces, like a studio or event booth. It’s common for property owners and event organizers to require businesses to list them as additional insureds on a policy before renting a space. Full Frame provides unlimited additional insureds for just $30.

Camera Equipment Coverage

Also known as inland marine insurance, camera equipment coverage can protect your business from the cost of repairing or replacing damaged or stolen business equipment—including camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment, and more. Our policy can protect against claims that occur at home, on a job and anywhere in between. Full Frame offers multiple coverage options for equipment insurance based on your business needs.